If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Foxley Church, Norton

The very attractive Foxley Church in part dates from the 12th century and it has no dedication. The nave, font and chancel date from the 12th century while the north aisle was built in the early 13th century. The roof has tie beams, wind braces and collar beams and Jacobean pews were installed in the church in the 17th century. The church was further rebuilt in the 17th century; the aisle and north chapel were demolished in the 1690s. A transceptal aisle was built and the 14th century windows were moved into the new aisle. The church tower was built in the 15th century and restored c.1708. In the early 1700s the porch, doorway and south wall of the nave were rebuilt and two 15th century windows were reset in the nave.

The list of rectors at Foxley is complete from 1334 and in the late 13th century a priest's house stood beside the church. This house was repaired in the late 14th century and still stands today. In 1727 the church was given a silver paten and flagon by Judith Ayliffe. They were by Paul Lamerie, a silversmith from London. In 1729 Judith Ayliffe also gave a new bell, cast by Abraham Rudhall

There are two windows in the church dedicated to members of the Carter family. They are engraved with two dates, that of 1865 and 1866. It is thought that they were ordered by Sophia Carter, who died in 1874. The Carter windows are: the north window, depicting the event of the Transfiguration of Jesus with Moses and Elijah and the south window, showing the resurrection of Christ. Another window is a later addition; a stained glass window in the south wall commemorates Walter Cecil Luce, the youngest son of the then churchwarden. Walter died of typhoid when he was fighting in the second Boer War. The window was made by Louis B. Davies.

Foxley first had a resident vicar in 1862 when the Reverend Lewis Albert Martin Way arrived. He lived at the Rectory, which at the start of the century had been extended. In Rev Way's time at the Rectory it was extended further. At the start of the 20th century the church was renovated; Captain Algernon Turner, son of Colonel Turner of Pinkney, arrived to live at the manor house and removed the musician's gallery at the back of the church, moved some panels to the south wall and built brass altar rails. A little later, the Jacobean pews were taken away and replaced. A clock was added to the church in 1873. What is known as a Tower Clock, it was made by Charles Frodsham and Company, the Queen's clockmakers. In 1902 the rector was Henry Launcelot Warneford, who had been the vicar at St. George's Chapel, Windsor and is said to have assisted in the officiating of Queen Victoria's funeral. Electricity was installed at the church in 1947. Two years later a new organ was installed.

The parish registers from 1713 (baptisms and burials) and 1715 (marriages), other than those in current use are held in the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre at Chippenham and a transcript is also available at the church. A list of monumental inscriptions, deciphered by students of Malmesbury School, is also available in the church.

Church Search Results

There were 25 items found.

Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Foxley Church, Norton
Foxley Church, Norton

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN