If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Church of St.James, South Wraxall

The church consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south chapel, west tower and vestry. All but the tower were rebuilt in 1823 and the vestry and present arcade in 1882. It is built in ashlar in a gothic style of the 15th century. The chapel was added in the 14th century and partly rebuilt in 1566 by the Long family. The construction is of squared and coursed masonry with worked dressings and two restored 14th century square headed tracery windows with three cinquefoil lights. The doorway is also square headed with an inscription above 'R.Ao.R 1556' with a left fetlock and a stags head on the right. The tower is early 14th century and rises in three stages with an enormous stair turret to an ashlar saddleback roof and a centre ball finial.

Inside the church is a late 15th century tomb of an effigy of a woman with no inscription. The front panel, however, depicts an angel holding a shield with the Longs Arms and mouldings decorated with fetlocks. Many 18th century memorials are on the west wall and include one to Thomas Long 1733 and to William Jones 1660. The altar and pulpit are more modern and the font, although redressed is 14th century. The church plate includes the present chalice and flagon dating from 1881 and given by Miss Cusack of South Wraxall in 1882 while in 1553 a small chalice was left to the church. Also in 1553 there were four bells and six by 1769.

The registers date from 1672 although there are some gaps until the 18th century. These, other than those in current use, can be viewed at the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre in Chippenham.

There is mention of 'Martin the chaplain of wraxall' c.1227 and this would indicate the existence of a chapel at South Wraxall but it could be referring to the Chapel of Barley, or alternatively the Chapel of St. Owen or even St. James's at South Wraxall.

As early as 1349 the parish was annexed to Bradford and in 1656 it was proposed to reform this large parish and combine Wraxall with Atworth, Monkton Farleigh, Cottles House and Moxhams, however no permanent change was made until the 19th century. In 1847 South Wraxall was annexed from the chapel of Atworth and made a perpetual curacy and endowed with a vicarial rent charge.

Church Search Results

There were 16 items found.

Church of St.James, South Wraxall
Church of St.James, South Wraxall

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St.James, South Wraxall
Church of St.James, South Wraxall

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St.James, South Wraxall
Church of St.James, South Wraxall

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St.James, South Wraxall
Church of St.James, South Wraxall

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St.James, South Wraxall
Church of St.James, South Wraxall

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St.James, South Wraxall
Church of St.James, South Wraxall

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St.James, South Wraxall
Church of St.James, South Wraxall

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St.James, South Wraxall
Church of St.James, South Wraxall

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St.James, South Wraxall
Church of St.James, South Wraxall

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St.James, South Wraxall
Church of St.James, South Wraxall

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St.James, South Wraxall
Church of St.James, South Wraxall

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St.James, South Wraxall
Church of St.James, South Wraxall

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St.James, South Wraxall
Church of St.James, South Wraxall

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St.James, South Wraxall
Church of St.James, South Wraxall

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St.James, South Wraxall
Church of St.James, South Wraxall

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St.James, South Wraxall
Church of St.James, South Wraxall

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN