If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Church of St. Paul, Chippenham

In 1852 the population of the town was around 5,000 and the parish church held only 1,000 people. There was rapid expansion in the north of the town in the parish of Langley Burrell, whose church could only accommodate 170 people. It was proposed to build a chapel of ease in Langley Burrell near to Chippenham and form an ecclesiastical district from lands in the parishes of Langley Burrell, Chippenham and Hardenhuish. The church was built by George Gilbert Scott in 1854-55 in the Early English Geometric style with a tower in four stages rising to a spire of 146 feet, containing a peal of eight bells. The church was consecrated on 18th April 1855. The registers from 1855, other than those in current use, are in the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre in Chippenham.

Church Search Results

There were 5 items found.

Church of St. Paul, Chippenham
Church of St. Paul, Chippenham

Image Date: 1982
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Paul, Chippenham
Church of St. Paul, Chippenham

Image Date: 2007
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Paul, Chippenham
Church of St. Paul, Chippenham

Image Date: 2007
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Paul, Chippenham
Church of St. Paul, Chippenham

Image Date: 2007
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Paul, Chippenham
Church of St. Paul, Chippenham

Image Date: 2007
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN