If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Church of St. Peter, Chippenham

The church was established as a chapel of ease to St. Andrew's to serve the area of Rowden, Lowden and Sheldon which, in the 1880s, had a population of about 1,000. The foundation stone was laid on 20th July 1885 and the church opened on 19th November 1886. It was in stone with red brick dressings and had a nave, north and south aisles, a chancel and apse. It was replaced by a new church in Biddestone Road. The foundation stone was laid on 27th June 1967 and the church was consecrated on 7th December 1968. This is a modern design, built of reconstituted stone, with a copper roof and fibre glass spire which caused early problems. It is a six sided building with no internal supports.

Church Search Results

There were 5 items found.

Church of St. Peter, Chippenham
Church of St. Peter, Chippenham

Image Date: 1982
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Peter, Chippenham
Church of St. Peter, Chippenham

Image Date: 2007
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Peter, Chippenham
Church of St. Peter, Chippenham

Image Date: c.1910
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Peter, Chippenham
Church of St. Peter, Chippenham

Image Date: 2007
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Peter, Chippenham
Church of St. Peter, Chippenham

Image Date: 2007
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN