If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Primitive Methodist Chapel, The Causeway, Chippenham

The Brinkworth Circuit turned its attention to Chippenham by 1833 and the Chippenham Mission came into being. They met with considerable opposition at first but Samuel Turner and James Baker, the missionaries, overcame this. Within six months the Mission contained 18 preaching places, including Stockley, Calne, Heddington, Beanacre, Lacock, Derry Hill, Studley, Thickwood, Biddestone, Coate, Rowde and Cherhill, besides Chippenham itself. Despite physical opposition and intimidation there were over 100 members. In 1835 the Mission became a Circuit with 41 preaching places. At this time it seems that a chapel was built on the Causeway in Chippenham. A new chapel was built in front of the old one in 1896 and the earlier one became the schoolroom.

The new chapel continued in use until the 1980s when it closed and the members joined either the Monkton Hill Church or the Sheldon Road Church.

Church Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN