Wiltshire Community History
Church Search Results
There were 1 items found.
Ebenezer Chapel, Priory Street, Corsham
Around 1822 some members of the Congregational Church, who disagreed with their church's doctrine on baptism, met in a small cottage in Bence's Lane. They opened a schoolroom for 200 people in 1823. A growing congregation meant that a new chapel had to be built and this was opened in Priory Street on 1st January 1829. In 1838 a gallery was added and in 1867 the building was enlarged to include a vestry. According to the book, Twenty Golden Candlesticks, the founding of the church was in 1823 and commemorating this a single storey Jubilee Memorial Hall was built alongside the present church in 1873.
|Ebenezer Chapel, Priory Street, Corsham|
Image Date: 2002
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham