If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Church of St. John the Baptist, Gastard

A chapel existed here in 1428 and was surrendered to Thomas Tropenell in 1453. He restored it to use and it remained in the hands of his successors until 1637. By that time it was probably no longer used as a chapel and in 1637 it was converted into cottages. The present church of St. John the Baptist was built in 1912 in the Gothic style with a broad west tower. Marriage registers from 1959-1986 are held in the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre at Chippenham. Earlier marriages, and records of baptisms and burials, will be found in the registers of Corsham St. Bartholomew, also in the History Centre.

Church Search Results

There were 2 items found.

Church of St. John the Baptist, Gastard
Church of St. John the Baptist, Gastard

Image Date: 2002
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. John the Baptist, Gastard
Church of St. John the Baptist, Gastard

Image Date: 2002
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN