If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Holy Trinity Church, Trowbridge

The area to the south of the river Biss was developed from the 1790s and building accelerated from 1820 with much housing for cloth factory workers. The only Anglical church was the parish church of St. James and in 1835 its rector, Francis Fulford opened an appeal for funds to build a new church. The church, designed by A.F. Livesey of Portsmouth, was built in 1838 at a cost of £6,404, eight shillings and fourpence. It is cruciform in shape, in the Early English style, with a tower on the south side and has 1,200 sittings. In 1839 a new ecclesiastical parish was formed for Holy Trinity out of the tithings of Studley and Little Trowle. The Stancombe family were great benefactors of the church in the 19th century. There was a Sunday school here from the late 1830s. In 1952 a new church was built at Studley and in 1858 the district parish of Studley was separated from Holy Trinity. In 1861-2 a new heating system was installed by Hadens of Trowbridge, one of Europe's foremost central heating firms, and in 1888 the church's Jubilee was marked by the removal of the west gallery and other renovations. Between 1889 and 1938 there were many donations of stained glass windows and church furniture. Holy Trinity also became the church to the Royal Artillery Barracks in Frome Road. From the late 1970s the church became the 'Church on the Roundabout' after the first part of the Trowbridge Inner Relief Road was built. In 1980/81 the interior was modernised. The church registers from 1838 (christenings) and 1839 (marriages and burials), except for those in current use, are held by the Wiltshire and Swindon Record Office.

Church Search Results

There were 4 items found.

Holy Trinity Church, Trowbridge
Holy Trinity Church, Trowbridge

Image Date: 1905
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Holy Trinity Church, Trowbridge
Holy Trinity Church, Trowbridge

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Holy Trinity Church, Trowbridge
Holy Trinity Church, Trowbridge

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Holy Trinity Church, Trowbridge
Holy Trinity Church, Trowbridge

Image Date: c.1910
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN