Wiltshire Community History
Church Search Results
There were 1 items found.
Church of St. Lawrence, Stratford-sub-Castle, Salisbury
The date of the foundation of this church is uncertain and it is first mentioned as a chapel annexed to St. Martin's at Salisbury. The church was said to have been consecrated in 1326 but this could have been a rebuilt church, replacing an earlier one on the site. There is a 12th century font, but it is possible that this could have originated elsewhere. It is most probable that much of the stone came from the abandoned buildings at Old Sarum. Some features of the chancel are of the 13th century and there were alterations and repairs in the 15th century. From this period comes the waggon roof, with its interesting carved bosses, probably of 1461.
The nave was probably largely rebuilt in the 16th century and in 1711 the tower was rebuilt, most likely as a copy of the late medieval one.The building was restored in 1904-5 under the direction of W.D. Caroe and more repairs were carried out in 1926. Electric lighting was provided in 1948 and there was a further restoration in 1957-8. There are many pre-Victorian fittings with an oak chancel screen of the 15th or early 16th century and many other internal fiitings of the early 18th century. In 1553 there were three bells, one was sold in 1584 and there are now two bells dated 1594 and 1767. The parish registers from 1654, other than those in current use, are held in the Wiltshire and Swindon Record Office