If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Church of St. Mary, Wilton

This church was one of three medieval churches on the Market Place being on the corner of Brede Street and Corn Street. The original church had a small west tower and a nave and chancel, both with side aisles, and was partly rebuilt in the 13th century. The church retained its importance in the 14th and 15th centuries, when many other of Wilton's medieval churches were closing and was rebuilt in the 15th century. By the 16th century all the remaining Wilton churches had been united with St. Mary's and it became the sole parish church. In addition the Chapel of St. Catherine at Netherhampton and the Church of St. Andrew at Ditchampton were united with it by 1564 and the vicarage of Bulbridge by 1593. The church was restored in the 18th century but by 1810 it was necessary for the parish to levy a rate for further restoration.

Despite this the church remained badly in need of repair during the first quarter of the 19th century. After the new parish church of St. Mary and St. Nicholas was completed in 1845 the old parish church of St. Mary was partly demolished while the bells and many memorials had been transferred to the new church. The easternmost bay of the nave and the chancel were retained and the chancel converted to a small chapel. The restoration of the church, in 1933-37, was undertaken by Robert Bingham, the U.S.A. ambassador to Britain, who claimed to be a descendant of Bishop Bingham of Salisbury, who had been consecrated bishop in the church in 1229. The work was completed after his death by the Bingham family.

Church Search Results

There were 5 items found.

Church of St. Mary, Wilton
Church of St. Mary, Wilton

Image Date: c.1915
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Mary, Wilton
Church of St. Mary, Wilton

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Mary, Wilton
Church of St. Mary, Wilton

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Mary, Wilton
Church of St. Mary, Wilton

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Mary, Wilton
Church of St. Mary, Wilton

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN