If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Church of All Saints, All Cannings

The church dates from the 13th century and is now cruciform in shape with an aisled nave of three bays, a central tower, north and south transepts, a south chapel, north and south porches, and a 19th century chancel. Late Norman features remaining include part of the chancel arch; it is thought that the Norman church probably had only one aisle. 14th century features include the piers of the crossing supporting the tower and the outer arch of the north porch. The cruciform pattern probably dates from this time.The three stage Perpendicular tower itself dates from the mid 15th century and probably replaced an earlier one; the transepts also date from this period. The Beauchamp chapel, to the east of the south transept, is a chantry chapel probably built by Sir Richard Beauchamp (died 1508), who would have also given land to provide an income for a priest to say masses for his soul.It is believed that the nave and aisles were re-modelled after the Reformation.

The Rev. Robert Byng made various improvements in the first part of the 17th century, when the 15th century font was provided with a cover (1633) and the nave roof rebuilt (1638). In the later 17th century the chancel was restored or rebuilt; this was possibly in 1678. A restoration of 1843 saw extensive alterations with the renewal of the nave roof, the removal of the west gallery, and new open pews to replace the old box ones. In 1867 the chancel was rebuilt on a slightly narrower plan, 39 feet long but only 14 feet 6 inches wide, in the style of the mid 13th century. The architect was Henry Weaver of Devizes and an elaborate interior was provided. In the same year a pulpit was erected as a memorial to the long incumbancy of the Rev. Methuen who served the parish for 60 years.

There were three bells in 1553 and five by the 20th century; these were recast and rehung in 1929. There are six scratch dials on the exterior south wall, once used to determine the correct time for services. The parish registers from 1578, other than those in current use, are held in the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre at Chippenham.

Church Search Results

There were 5 items found.

Church of All Saints, All Cannings
Church of All Saints, All Cannings

Image Date: 2006
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of All Saints, All Cannings
Church of All Saints, All Cannings

Image Date: 2006
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of All Saints, All Cannings
Church of All Saints, All Cannings

Image Date: 2006
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of All Saints, All Cannings
Church of All Saints, All Cannings

Image Date: 2006
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of All Saints, All Cannings
Church of All Saints, All Cannings

Image Date: 2006
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN