If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Bethell Strict Baptist Chapel, Allington, All Cannings

This chapel opened in the centre of the village in 1828 through the efforts of Joseph Parry, the principal farmer of Allington and the village evangelist. It became a prominent social centre for the people of Allington and the chapel was attended by most of the inhabitants. On Census Sunday in 1851 the morning attendance was 80, while 100 people came to chapel in the afternoon. Until 1881 Allington villagers had to go to All Cannings church to be married but in that year their chapel was registered for marriages. The chapel was closed for a few years between c.1927 and 1937 but after that weekly services continued through the 20th century and into the present one.

Church Search Results

There were 3 items found.

Bethell Strict Baptist Chapel, Allington, All Cannings
Bethell Strict Baptist Chapel, Allington, All Cannings

Image Date: 2006
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Bethell Strict Baptist Chapel, Allington, All Cannings
Bethell Strict Baptist Chapel, Allington, All Cannings

Image Date: 2006
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Bethell Strict Baptist Chapel, Allington, All Cannings
Bethell Strict Baptist Chapel, Allington, All Cannings

Image Date: 2006
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN