Church Search Results
There were 1 items found.
Ebenezer Baptist Chapel, Atworth
|The Baptist influence was penetrating West Wiltshire as early as 1660. Atworth was one of the parishes reported in 1669 for holding an illegal meeting. The Baptists first applied for a meeting house certificate in 1692. Their congregation appears to have been small but faithful, as they were still applying to meet in a house in 1790. It was not until the mid 19th century that membership was large enough for them to justify building their own church. |
Atworth Baptist church, known as Ebenezer Church, was opened in 1864. Although built to accommodate 120 people, the following year it had just six members and a pastor. By 1872 the church had become a mission station under the Priory Street Baptist church at Corsham. It remained in this position for the rest of its life, staying open until 1979. It is now a private house.
The building consisted of a main chapel with schoolroom attached. Under the floor of the chapel was a large tank which was filled with water when required for baptisms from the cottage next door.