If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

The Church of St. John the Baptist, Foxham

The church was built in 1878-81 by William Butterfield but an Andrews and Dury's map of 1773 shows an earlier church on the site. It has a narrow tower and is made of rubble stone with ashlar dressings and a stone slate roof. The south side of the nave is barge boarded with a stone porch and timbering to the front. The interior, also by Butterfield, has been unaltered. There is a lot of red, black and slate blue tiling with patterned encaustic tiles. The nave has a tiled dado on the walls and a full height timber screen which dominates the area. A stained glass window of c.1855 was formerly the east window of Bremhill Church. There is a canted, ceiled wagon roof. The church had two bells in 1879, both small.

Church Search Results

There were 5 items found.

The Church of St. John the Baptist, Foxham
The Church of St. John the Baptist, Foxham

Image Date: 2009
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


The Church of St. John the Baptist, Foxham
The Church of St. John the Baptist, Foxham

Image Date: 2009
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


The Church of St. John the Baptist, Foxham
The Church of St. John the Baptist, Foxham

Image Date: 2009
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


The Church of St. John the Baptist, Foxham
The Church of St. John the Baptist, Foxham

Image Date: 2009
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


The Church of St. John the Baptist, Foxham
The Church of St. John the Baptist, Foxham

Image Date: 2009
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN