If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Westbury Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Comprehensive View - Condensed View

Wiltshire History for Sale

You can buy Wiltshire photographs, books, postcards and other items on line at eshop Wiltshire. Take a look today and find a piece of Wiltshire history for your home and family.

Westbury

This page is one of 261 pages covering every community in Wiltshire, and is provided by Wiltshire Council Libraries and Heritage. A project to provide a fuller picture of each community is in progress, working on the larger communities first. When these 261, which are modern civil parishes, are completed we will begin work on a further 180 villages and hamlets to provide comprehensive coverage of Wiltshire communities large and small.

From Andrews’ and Dury’s Map of Wiltshire, 1773:

From Andrews’ and Dury’s Map of Wiltshire, 1773


Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham



From Andrews’ and Dury’s Map of Wiltshire, 1810:

From Andrews’ and Dury’s Map of Wiltshire, 1810


Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


This is a corrected and updated edition of the 1773 map that includes the recently built canals.


Map of the Civil Parish of Westbury:

Map of the Civil Parish of Westbury

1890s
Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


From the Ordnance Survey 1890s revision of the one inch to one mile map. The civil parish has been superimposed.


Thumbnail History:

The ancient parish of Westbury was one of the largest in Wiltshire. Its 10,000 acres ran from Heywood to Dilton and from Chapmanslade to Bratton. The town was located in the centre. It lies on the exposed edge of the Upper Greensand strata which runs underneath the chalk uplands of Salisbury Plain. The rising of several springs, notably Bitham and Wellhead, provides a good supply of water and influenced the location of the settlement here.

The earliest artefacts found in Westbury have been stray finds, near Matravers School, in Station Road and at the Ham from the Stone Age (4,000-1,800 B.C.). They suggest transient movement rather than permanent occupation and may have been as a result of woodland clearance for animal grazing. Evidence of occupation sites from the Iron Age and Romano-British periods (600 B.C.-440 A.D.), such as a pottery kiln site at Wellhead, used by the Saxons, villa sites at Chalcot and Storridge plus many finds at the Ham and burials at Bitham Park, all surround the town itself which remains something of an archaeological ‘black hole’ for the pre-Saxon period.

An important early route ran along the spring line in King Chalcot, Short Street, Wellhead and Bratton (near the A3098 and B3098). Another went from Wellhead to Storridge along the route of the present Eden Vale Road and Station Road. A way from Bratton Hill fort to the Ham along Beggars Knoll into Newtown appears to take a sharp bend in Alfred Street before reappearing the other side of West End, represented now by a series of footpaths running parallel to the east of Station Road joining it near the Avoiding line bridge. The deviation may be due to the siting of Westbury Church which, like the town, has Saxon origins.

Its name derives from West Burgh, presumably the fortified place in the west of the county. However, although no evidence of a defended Saxon site has been found it may have been fortified by timber, plentiful in the Selwood Forest which covered much of the north-west of the parish, which has left no archaeological footprint, unlike an earthwork.

In 1086 the Domesday Book, the earliest documentary reference to Westbury, describes an estate of about 5,000 acres, previously held by Edith, wife of the Saxon King Edward the Confessor, but now William I. Its population was probably in the region of 600, including 9 beekeepers (the only ones in Domesday Wiltshire), 29 pigmen and an unspecified number of potters. This suggests a well-developed estate making good use of the natural resources. Pigs fed on woodland vegetation and potters required clay and wood for firing kilns.

The medieval town developed in the areas now bounded by West End, Edward Street, Bratton Road and Alfred Street. A borough was established to create a trading centre based on a weekly market and annual fair granted in 1252 and added to in 1291. It was supported by the rents of properties called burgages whose occupants enjoyed trading privileges in the market. A Borough Court was meeting by the mid 15th century and from 1448 representatives took their seat in Parliament: two until 1832, then one until 1885. Westbury’s position as the only parliamentary borough in West Wiltshire is reflected today in the parliamentary constituency being named after it. The institutions of Mayor and corporation appear by the late 16th century but never developed beyond conducting parliamentary elections, participation in which was restricted to the occupiers of the burgages, 61 in 1770.

The borough was unusual in comprising three separate blocks; the main being the Market Square along its eastern and southern sides running out to include Fore Street, Trowbridge Road, Frogmore Road, West End as far as Doggetts Lane on the north side, Edward Street on the south side, and Maristow Street, excluding the side of the corner with Edward Street. The alley between 15 and 17 Maristow Street than ran into the churchyard and formed a boundary of the borough.

Another area known as the Knoll in 1835 lay between Springhill and Church Street and included the site of the swimming baths, on which Jonah Doel, town crier, occupied a house in 1851. The third block was a finger of land, the south side of Eden Vale Road from Springfield Road including the workhouse and extending on to take in 60-80 Eden Vale Road, which are its surviving burgages.

The reason for there being these separate blocks stems from the complicated division of the manor of Westbury into several lesser estates, each entitled to enjoy the benefits of borough status. Ownership of the burgages meant control of the votes at parliamentary elections. As a result of the sale of the manor and borough by the Earl of Abingdon, ultimately to Sir Manasseh Lopes in 1810, political power passed over as well. Lopes paid £75,000 but he also incurred the expense of rebuilding most of the 61 burgages which were largely derelict because residency was a necessary qualification for tenants who were made freeholders for an hour in order to vote. In 1885 the borough was disenfranchised and abolished, the only survivor being the office of Mayor.

Ecclesiastically Westbury was, until the mid 19th century, a ‘peculiar’ parish, unusual in that instead of being under the jurisdiction of the Bishop of Salisbury it was managed first by the precentor or chantor of Salisbury Cathedral who was overseen by the Dean of the Cathedral. The manor of Westbury Chantry was vested in the precentor. Part of its manor house survives as the medieval part of the offices of Pinniger Finch, Solicitors, in Church Street. Just up the street Little Chantry was the farmhouse of the manor, its yard being the builders merchant’s yard, which is currently at the early stages of redevelopment to sheltered accommodation.

Westbury was an important centre in the production of high-quality cloths for which the west of England was renowned throughout the world. Originally a cottage industry the weavers brought their cloth to the clothiers’ workshops for the finishing processes. Fulling, the cleaning and thickening by locating and washing, was the first process to be industrialised and there is documentary evidence of fulling mills at Bitham in 1573 and Chalford in 1623. John Leland noted the importance of the industry in the town in the mid 16th century. The town prospered as a result until the mid 19th century when more cheaply produced lower grade cloths from northern England provided competition. Angel Mill and Bitham Mill, however, continued in operation until 1969. The legacy of the industry can be seen in the mill buildings now converted to private accommodation. It is also evident in the munificence of the Laverton family of clothiers in providing the Laverton Institute (1873), the Public Baths (1887) and Prospect Place (1869), constructed to re-house supporters who had been evicted by Laverton's political opponent, J.L. Phipps, but with seven almshouses for former clothworkers at the top of the square. The present Laverton Almshouses are located beside Westbury Churchyard.

In 1826 William Cobbett recorded Westbury’s decline, writing about cloth mills that seemed ‘ready to tumble down as well as many of the houses’. The town’s fortunes were revived following this decline, noted by Cobbett, both indirectly and directly by the arrival of the railway in 1848. The line crossed land sufficiently rich in iron ore to make extraction and processing on the spot feasible. Trains could bring in the necessary coal for smelting and take away the prepared iron. The open cast mining left the lakes below the Ham known as the mineholes and tunnels for the tramway under Station Road and Hawkeridge Road.

The railway brought economic benefits to the town in its own right but why was the station placed so far from it? Many have believed up to recent times that the town were represented by the Laverton family who wished to keep this development at arm’s length. However, a much more practical reason can be found. The original line was the branch from the main London to Bristol route through Trowbridge and Westbury and onto Salisbury with a branch to Frome and Weymouth. The railway engineers needed easy gradients and the minimum amount of earthworks. The line could not have come closer to the town without causing major difficulties in tackling the rise to Upton Scudamore on its way to Warminster. The direct line from London to Westbury and onto Taunton was not built until 1901. If it had been the first route Station Road might have been a much shorter road.

The pattern of employment in Westbury has changed considerably in the last hundred years. The traditional industries of woollen manufacturing, gloving and iron ore production have been replaced by light engineering and on the West Wilts Trading Estate and the Blue Circle Cement Works. Most resident wage earners, however, work outside, notably in service industries in Trowbridge or further afield.

Parish Web Site
CouncilWiltshire Council
Web Sitewww.wiltshire.gov.uk
Emailcustomercare@wiltshire.gov.uk
 
Parish CouncilWestbury Town Council
 
Parish Emailwestburytc@btconnect.com

Churches: Information on both current and disused churches and chapels.

Catholic Church of St. Bernadette of Lourdes, Westbury
Church of All Saints, Westbury
Church of the Holy Saviour, Westbury Leigh, Westbury
Congregational Church of Westbury, Westbury
Cook's Stile Chapel, Westbury
Friends' Meeting House, Westbury
Independent Meeting, Westbury
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, Westbury Leigh, Westbury
Lower Meeting, Westbury
Methodist Church, Station Road, Westbury
New Lights, Westbury
Old Congregational Chapel, Westbury
United Reformed Church, Westbury
Upper Congregational Chapel, Westbury
West End Baptist Church, Westbury
Westbury Leigh Baptist Church, Westbury
 
Schools: Information on both current and closed schools.

Population 1801 - 2001

Photographs: If images have been added for this community they are available here.: We hold a collection of over 50,000 photographs of places in Wiltshire in the County Local Studies Library. These may be viewed at this library and copies of out of copyright material may be purchased. We can search for a picture of a building or event if you e-mail us with details.

Historical Sources: A select list of books and articles is listed in 'Printed material'. You may go directly to the actual text from some of these.

Printed Material: This is a select book-list for the community but in the case of a town there may be hundreds more books, pamphlets and journal articles.

The full text of some items is available to view on this site.

Alehouses of Westbury Parish 1620 - 1720
An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South-West England ( Pages 245 - 246)
Church of All Saints at Westbury - under - the - Plain
Highways and Byways in Wiltshire ( Pages 240 - 241)
Historic Spots in Wiltshire (Pages 1 - 8) ( White Horse)
History of Westbury Church with an engraving
Manual, Rules and History of the Old Congregational Church, Westbury, Wilts
Moonraker Firemen (of the past) ( Pages 211 - 216)
Sarum fine woollens : a story of textiles
The Beauties of Wiltshire (3 Volumes) (Vol. 2, Pages 210 - 212)
The Church Bells of Wiltshire: their inscription and history ( Pages 229 - 230)
The Church Plate of the County of Wilts ( Pages 99 - 100)
The History of Blue Circle ( Pages 144, 150 - 153)
The Illustrated Portrait of Wiltshire ( Pages 122 - 123)
The Parish Church of All Saints, Westbury - under - the - Plain, Wiltshire
The Parish Church of All Saints, Westbury, Wiltshire
The railway comes to Westbury
The Victoria History of Wiltshire, Vol. 4
The Victoria History of Wiltshire, Vol. 4
The Victoria History of Wiltshire, Vol. 8 ( Pages 139 - 192)
Westbury
Westbury and Westbury Leigh : A Celebration of the Town and its People
Westbury in old photographs
Westbury in the Year 2000
Westbury Ironworks
Westburye Under Y Playne
Wiltshire (Buildings of England series) ( Pages 559 - 562), revised by Bridget Cherry
Wiltshire and Somerset Woollen Mills ( Pages 214 - 229)
Wiltshire schools : a short history
Wiltshire Towns: the archaeological potential (Pages 65 - 66)
Wiltshire: the topographical collections corrected and enlarged by John Edward Jackson ( Pages 402 - 406)
 

The Victoria History of Wiltshire (opens in new window) is a partnership between local authorities and the Institute of Historical Research at London University. The History of Wiltshire is now the largest county history in the country and is still growing. The volumes are divided between general and topographical with Volumes One to Five covering subjects such as prehistory, ecclesiastical, economic and political history. The Volumes from Six onwards are topographical and will ultimately provide a comprehensive and systematic history of every single town and parish in the county.

(opens in new window) Explore Wiltshire's Past web site

Newspapers from 1738: These newspapers covered this community at different times. Newspaper titles in bold text are either the ones you should check first for information about this community.

NewspaperPeriod
  
Salisbury Journal 1738 to 1819
Devizes & Wiltshire Gazette 1816
Sherborne Mercury 1737 to 1867
Wiltshire Independent 1836 to 1876
Wiltshire Telegraph 1877 to 1935
Trowbridge Advertiser 1855 to 1874
Wiltshire News 1909 to 1955
Wiltshire Times 1880
Warminster Journal 1881
 

Maps: listed below are maps on which you can find this community. All maps are Ordnance Survey maps.

Map Type Map Sheet Reference
 
O.S. National Grid Reference ST 870515
O.S. 25 inch County Series 1870s-194044/8
O.S. 6 inch County Series 1870s-194044
O.S. 1:2500 metric edition; 1950s onwardST 8650-8750; 8651-8751
O.S. 1:10000 metric edition; 1950s onwardST 85 SE; ST 84 NE
O.S. Explorer143
O.S. Landranger183
Geological Sheet281

Map of Westbury


View Larger Map (opens in new window)


Map showing Panoramio pictures and Wikipedia entries for the area around Westbury

From the more tab you can use the checkbox to select:-
  • Wiki
  • Wiki DE
  • Photos
  • Popular
  • Video
  • Webcams


View Larger Map (opens in new window)

 

Archaeological Sites: A Sites and Monuments Record (opens new window) is maintained by the County Archaeology Service and covers some 20,000 sites.

The Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society was formed in 1853 and have been publishing an annual journal since 1854. The journal contains both substantial articles and shorter notes on archaeological excavations, finds, museum objects, local history, genealogy and natural history.

Folk Arts:

Folk Songs from Westbury

Song Title

Roud No.

Collected From

Community

County

Collected By

Little Jimmie

00867

Atkins, Benjamin

Westbury

Wiltshire

Gardiner, George B

Red herring

00128

Harris, Albert

Westbury

Wiltshire

Gardiner, George B

Unquiet grave

00051

Poole, Thomas William

Westbury

Wiltshire

Gardiner, George B

Folk Biographies from Westbury

NameLocation/CommunityDate of Birth

Atkins, Benjamin

Westbury

0

Harris, Albert

Westbury

1860

Poole, Thomas William

Westbury

1839

There were no Folk Plays found for Westbury

History of Buildings: The collections of the Wiltshire Buildings Record are housed in the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre at Chippenham’.

Listed Buildings: The number of buildings, or groups of buildings, listed, as being of architectural or historical importance, is 154. There are no Grade I listings and six Grade II* listings.

English Heritage and National Monuments Record

Local Authors: There could be an author who was born or has lived in this community.

John Rossiter/John Ross, Novelist; lives in Westbury
Judith Nicholls, Poet; lives in Westbury

Literary Associations: Some communities have featured in novels or may have been the main setting for a book.

Registration Districts: If you want to obtain a copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate you can contact the local registrar.

Current District:Marlborough
Address:1 The Green, Marlborough, Wiltshire SN8 1AL
Former District:Westbury to April 1936

Frequently Asked Questions

Search the Wiltshire Studies Catalogue This will take you to our library catalogue where you will need to re-enter your search term to find books on the subject. Please enter more than one word, e.g. 'Salisbury + market' unless you are looking for a small community.

Search Community Information Database

Wiltshire & Swindon Archives

Wiltshire Wills Search by name, occupation, or subject for details of a will from this parish held in the Wiltshire & Swindon Record Office.

Genuki Family History - Wiltshire

If you have a local history enquiry, contact the County Local Studies Library

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN