In 1840, was the clergyman at the church of St John the Evangelist, Bemerton, a vicar or a rector, and when was St John's church built?
In 1840 Bemerton was a chapelry of the parish of Fugglestone St Peter, which was a rectory. Both at the time and when Bemerton became a parish in its own right, the incumbent was a rector. The rectory house was opposite the church of St Andrew, and it was where George Herbert, the metaphysical poet, lived. The church of St John the Evangelist was built as a memorial to Herbert, in 1860-61, to the design of T.H. Wyatt.