Who built the original Tedworth House?
It is not known who built any of the Tedworth Houses that preceded the current one. The original is likely to have been Saxon and will have been built by Codolf, who owned the estate in the 11th century, or one of his predecessors. This is likely to have been replaced by a medieval manor house. More recently a house could have been built by the Cooke family in the 16th century or Sir Giles and Katherine Wroughton in the early 17th century. Certainly when the estate was bought by Thomas Smith in 1650 there was what was described as a fine country house and this probably indicates that it had been built within the last 100 years.