Viewing multimedia and description text
Church of St. Nicholas, Slaughterford, Biddestone
|Date Photo Taken 2008|
Uploaded 04/02/2008 14:56:20
View Exif Data
Original Media Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham
|The church has a small unbuttressed west tower with Somerset tracery in the bell-openings and a three sided stair turret rising to the bell stage. The walls are of ashlar with stone tiled roofs and coped gables with saddlestones. G. Forder of Winchester built the nave, chancel and south porch in 1823. The rest of the church was virtually all restored in 1883 and all the windows have Perpendicular style tracery from this date with hoodmoulds over them. The interior is plain with plastered walls and roof, a chamfered chancel arch and 19th century fittings. |
During the Civil War the church was partially destroyed by Cromwell's troops on their way to Bristol to embark for Ireland. For 200 years the parishioners of Slaughterford had to walk to Biddestone to worship in the church there. An inscription dated 1823 records the re-building, mainly using funds raised, locally after two centuries of disuse. The church remains open for sevices and is approached through a field from the road.
You can add a relevant comment on this multimedia item - please complete all fields
All comments will be moderated and will be displayed on this page if approved
Note: This is a history site and we have no connection with the school, church, etc. that the multimedia item relates to
For general feedback, comments or questions not relating to this multimedia item, please use this form.