Viewing multimedia and description text
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Alderbury
|Date Photo Taken 2008|
Uploaded 22/10/2008 12:04:04
View Exif Data
Original Media Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre
|Westley Hall (husband of John Wesley’s sister Martha) began the Methodist movement in Alderbury in 1736 when he began preaching at meetings in the Green Dragon. Following a break with the Wesley family in 1746 the movement dwindled and followers travelled to Salisbury to attend meetings. In 1802 the dwelling house of John Cooke was licensed for religious worship. By 1824 there were 14 members.|
In 1825 a chapel was built in Folly Lane to seat 150 people. By 1851 attendance had grown to 162. In 1912 a Sunday schoolroom was added. Attendances declined throughout the 20th century and the chapel was demolished in 1970. The Old Chapel Close housing estate was built on the site; pictured her is the road sign, the only reminder of the chapel that once stood here.
You can add a relevant comment on this multimedia item - please complete all fields
All comments will be moderated and will be displayed on this page if approved
Note: This is a history site and we have no connection with the school, church, etc. that the multimedia item relates to
For general feedback, comments or questions not relating to this multimedia item, please use this form.