If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Broughton Gifford Timeline

There were 163 items found.


Neolithic BC       Two flint implements have been found at Red House Farm.
Bronze Age BC       Pottery fragments found on two sites, north of the railway line and west of Monkton House.
Iron Age BC       Fragments of pottery found west of Monkton House.
Romano-British BC       Evidence of building with pottery, coins, etc found north of the railway line; foundations of a building and a burial found west of Monkton House.
1001       First mention of Broughton Gifford - the estate grant's description in the 'Vill of Bradeford' by King Ethelred.
1086       Manor held in chief by Humphrey de Lisle, estate of 5 hides held by Rainburges, estate of 3 hides held by Saward, records show two mills in the principal manor of Broughton Gifford.
1100s       Rainburgus' estate granted, by new owner Ilbert le Chaz, to the priory of Monkton Farleigh. There is a chapel at Broughton - base of cross in churchyard believed to be 12th century.
1166       Monkton Manor belongs to the Priory of Monkton Farleigh.
1188       Broughton Gifford in possession of Walter de Dunstanville.
1199-1200       Custody of Broughton Gifford to Ingram Des Preaux.
1200s       Church of St. Mary the Virgin built.
1200-1205       Gilbert Bassett holds Broughton Gifford.
1205-1212       Thomas Bassett holds Broughton Gifford.
1212       Walter, son of Phllip de Somerford, holds the 3 hide estate.
1214-1216       Walter de Dunstanville II attains Broughton Gifford, but then forfeits it as he joins the rebels against King John.
1216       King John grants Broughton Gifford to Geoffrey and Olive de Buteville.
1217       Walter de Dunstanville's lands are restored to him.
1228-1236       Litigation between Walter, son of Philip de Somerford, and the Prior of Farleigh, ended with Walter's surrender of the 3 hide estate.
1232       Settlement between Walter de Dunstanville and Ingram Des Preaux over Broughton Gifford is settled on Dunstanville, the other manors go to Ingram Des Preaux. Agreement that the Abbess, and not the Prior, would have patronage of the chapel as part of Broughton Gifford.
1241       Walter de Dunstanville II dies and is succeeded by his son Walter de Dunstanville III
1242-1243       Prior of Monkton Farleigh holds a Knight's fee in Little Broughton of the Earl of Salisbury, as of the honour of Trowbridge.
1265       Lawsuit between the Abbess and Walter de Dunstanville III for the advowson of the Church, the Abbess was successful.
1268       Walter de Dunstanville III grants Broughton Gifford to John Giffard, first Baron Gifford of Brimpsfield.
1271       Walter de Dunstanville III dies without a male heir, leaving his daughter Parnel as the heir.
1281       Free warren of the manor granted to John Giffard.
1291       Church valued at £10
1292       Parnel, daughter of Walter de Dunstanville III, dies leaving her son William de Montfort as the heir.
1293-1294       Survey of Monkton Manor values it at £11. 9s. 3d. a year - oats, wheat, barley and beans are the crops and 17 oxen are kept for ploughing.
1299       John Giffard dies, leaving the manor to his heir John Giffard II, the son of his third wife Margaret de Neville.Some of Giffard's land and other mansions are assigned to his wife as a dower.The manor contained 16 free tenants, 7 customers, 11 holders of ½ virgat, and 16 cottars; 50 houses + priest's house and manor house
1300s       Chapel added to the Church, new chancel arch.
1308       First rector of Broughton recorded
1322       John Giffard II is exeuted for treason, his lands are escheated to the Crown. Soon after the forfeit was reversed and inquisitions were made to discover an heir.
1328       John de Kellway is recognised as John Giffard's heir.
1329       John Giffard's lands are granted then to John Mautravers.
1330       John de Kellway challenges Mautraver's claim to Giffard's land, but then concedes.
1334       Tax lists state Broughton Gifford contributes 70 shillings to the total of Bradford-on-Avon's £583. 8d. tax.
1338       Margeret de Neville dies and the The King presents the advowson to John De Mautravers, Lord of the Manor, but later revoked; tenancy is divided between James, Lord Audley and John, Lord Strange
1338-1627       Broughton Gifford is owned by multiple tennants, such as Lord Mautravers, Queen Joan and Humphrey Duke of Gloucester.
1341       It is stated that there is no chapel as part of Broughton Gifford, only the parish church. It is suspected the chapel fell to misuse.
1349       Plague hits Broughton Gifford, many holdings fall vacant as a result.
1351       The King orders that the Manor should be granted to John Mautavers, however there is no evidence that he succeeded in gaining tenancy.
1375-1376       Lords of the manor, James Lord Audley and Sir Reynold de Cobham, sue the Abbess for the next advowson.
1400s       Church of St. Mary the Virgin has new windows and a roof replacement.
1419       Last year in which the lords of the manor claimed the advowson; mill assigned to Beatrice, relict of Gilbert Lord Talbot.
1480       Will of Henry Long of Wraxhall leaved 13s. 4d. to the Church for vestments.
Early 1500s       Church House built, wool markets are introduced in Broughton Gifford.
1500s-1600       Clothiers and weavers arrive in Broughton Gifford, such as Jerome Gerish (1588) and Henry Harding (1652).
1525       Monkton Manor now incldes a meadow called Chaldmeade, now known as Challymead the tenements (houses) in the manor are worth £2.4.0d..
1535       Church is valued at £20. 85s.
1536       Due to the dissolution, the advowson of Broughton Gifford remains with the Crown.
1550s       Henry Long of Whaddon acquired Monkton Manor.
1568       Ruled that Parsonage or Church Bridge belonged to whole village and they had to pay for repairs.
1596       Staircase added to Monkton manor house.
1600       Rectory built.
1600s       Broughton Gifford is well known for its geese, locals are often referred to as 'Broughton Ganders'.
C.1622       Broughton Gifford Manor House is built by Sir John Horton.
1624       Parsonage Bridge described as 'newly built' and 'is not thoroughly finished'.
1627       by this year Sir John Horton has inherited or bought all of Broughton Gifford manor, reuniting all the parts after 328 years.
1629       By now a causeway called 'The Street' has been built, linking the village to the common. A house, built by the feoffees in the graveyard lands, is presented at the manor court to belong to the parishoners. Sir John Horton moved into the Manor House.
1642-1651       Monkton Manor accommodates soldiers fighting for Cromwell's parliamentarian army during the Civil War.
1645-1646       Broughton Gifford is one the of parishes in the Bradford-Melksham-Trowbridge area
1647       John Long repairs and alters Monkton Manor to create Monkton House.
1649-1650       Monkton House is sequestered and Jong Long branded a delinquent.
C.1650       Stone gate piers are added to Broughton Manor House, no resident lord of the manor at Broughton Gifford.
1654-1666       Broughton Gifford is compelled to contribute to the parliamentary garrison of Great Chalfield.
1665       Parish registers at Broughton Gifford begin, bell is hung in the Church of St. Mary the Virgin.
1669       Monkton House is sold to Sir James Thynne of Longleat.
1673       Broughton House built.
1700s       Broughton House extended at both ends.
Early 1700s       Gifford Hall is built, incorporating the wall of a 16th century building.
1700-1783       Sheep enclosures made due to the increased profits that can be obtained by sheep breeding for the expanding woollen industry.
1705       House of Joan Gore, of Broughton Gifford, is licensed as a dissenters meeting house.
1708       Gallery added to the Church of St. Mary the Virgin.
1714       From this date the rector, William Hickes, refused to bury Dissenters and several were buried in their own gardens and orchards.
1720       Open roofs of the Church of St. Mary the Virgin are covered in with plaster ceilings.
1725       Pack horse bridge built near Monkton House where the River Avon crosses, replacing the old wooden bridge.
1731       Only one mill is listed as being attatched to Broughton Gifford Manor, John Horton gives a paten to the Church.
1732       Bell of the Church of St. Mary the Virgin is cracked.
1762       Act passes that results in the construction of the road from Melksham, through Broughton Gifford, to Bradford; now the B3107.
1780       Benjamin Hobhouse, the last of the Lords of the Manor, buys The Bell.
1782       Charity school is founded; Francis Paradice, and wife Betty, gives Broughton Gifford £500 to be invested.
1783       By this date all parish lands are inclosed, other than the four commons.
1780       Sir Benjamin Hobhouse of Cottles House buys Broughton manor (including Church Farm and a farm on the common, tenements, and woodland for £11,500.
Late 1700s       Hollybrook House built, The Fox and Hounds (now The Fox) dates from this time.
1800s       Further extensions to Broughton House, protests against decline of the hand loom weaving industry erupt.
Early 1800s       Broughton Gifford Manor House is converted in to two houses; records show that wheat, oats and peas were the main crops in the parish.
1801       Population of Broughton Gifford at 613. Only crop acreages returned from Broughton Gifford are wheat, 59; oats, 4 and peas, 3.
1806       Particular Baptist Church built.
1820s       Labouring poor employed to break uo much of causeway by misguided parish surveyor.
1821       Will of Sarah Purbeck leaves £100 to Broughton Gifford, of which the annual dividend of £5 must be applied to the poor immediately before Christmas.
1822-1826       Samuel Cooper is the landlord of The Bell.
1826       Methodist Society forms.
1826-1827       Nathaniel Stinchcombe is the landlord of The Bell.
1828       Methodist Chapel built, charity school built.
1829       43 members listed in the Methodist Society.
1830       Sunday School starts in connection to the Baptist Church.
1833       Third school in Broughton Gifford is established - now three schools in parish.
1841       Parish contains 254 acres of arable land, 1207 acres of pasture, 70 acres of housing, 20 acres of railway, 1 acre of plantation and 83 acres of river, road and waste. Population at 741.
1847       A Michaelmas revel took places, bushes hung from unlicensed ale houses.
1848-1850       Unsuccessful attempt to inclose the common.
1849       Old rectory pulled down and a new one built to Wyatt's design.
1850       Extensive restoration of the Church of St. Mary the Virgin, present bells of the church are cast
1851       Scarlet fever epidemic, resulting in 17 deaths, all dwellers on the undrained Common. Baron Boughton (A Hobhouse) created.
1852       Charity school site and buildings are conveyed in trust by the rector, Reverend J. Wilkinson, to the rector and churchwardens. Rev. Wilkinson provides allotments to villagers.
1853       The state gives grants of £90 for a new school, and £463. 145s. 11d. is raised by local subscription as a contribution.
1856       Dispute over who has responsibility of the upkeep of Pack Horse Bridge, the county then took on the repairs; new school is built using the grants.
1857       5 members listed in the Methodist Society. There were 165 houses of which 16 were vacant - none had been built recently.
1858       48 students attending Broughton Gifford school, 20 receiving free education.
1860s       Mr Seager and Mr Croker are landlords of The Bell
1860       Large number of hand loom weavers still in parish; hand loom weaving industry dies out in Broughton Gifford due to the mechanisation of cloth production.
1862       No members listed in the Methodist Society.
1870s       New school master's house is added to the school site.
1871       Baptist Church is registered for marriage; government inspector says the 'discipline is good' and 'examination satisfactory' at the school.
1872       Further grant of £105. 15s. 10d. authorised to the school, consequently a new school building is erected.
1873       Cost for attending school in Broughton Gifford increases.
1874       Physical geography and history are added to the school's curriculum.
1875       Broughton Gifford boasts 1 farmer, 2 shoe makers, 3 grocers, 1 baker, one tailor, 2 carpenters, one miller and 2 publicans.
1876       New rector installed, a Reverend A. Broderick.
1877       Sum of £1,000 consols are transferred to the Official Trustees, Broughton Gifford receives £166. 13s. 4d. of it.
1878       The nave of the Church of St. Mary the Virgin is re-roofed and the organ chamber formed, first certificate of proficiency is awarded to the school. A Mrs Hopkins gives a silver mounted flagon to the Church of St. Mary the Virgin.
1880       Elizabeth Sly bequeathed £100 to Broughton Gifford to the incumbment and church wardens, the annual income is to be given to the poor. Wilkinson summed up the social conditions of Broughton Gifford as 'we are rather dull'.
1884       School closes for 5 weeks due to a scarlatina outbreak.
1885       6 members listed in the Methodist Society; school closes for 1 month due to a measles outbreak, and closes again due to the death of the master's wife.
1886       Ordnance survey map shows two ponds on the common.
1888       School closes for 2 weeks due to a measles outbreak, Moses Thomas replaces Alfred Noyce as headmaster of the school.
1889       Broughton Gifford has 1 tailor, 2 masons, 1 contractor, 1 thatcher, 1 coal merchant and 1 market gardener.
1890       12 members listed in the Methodist Society.
Early 1900s       Extension made to the Fox and Hounds, The Bell is owned by R. A. Hobhouse.
1901       Ordnance Survey map shows a smithy, a workmen's club, a post office and allotments in Broughton Gifford; population at 649.
1902       Scool closes due to scarlatina, whooping cough, tonsilitis and other 'weaknesses', there is a week long holiday celebrating the coronation of King Edward VII.
1903       Wooden station halt opens at Broughton Gifford due to the completion of Wiltshire Railways.
1904       Board of education gives £666 13s. 4d. to Broughton Gifford. The Mortimer Charity is founded by Robert Mortimer and gives money to the poor at Christmas, as well as maintenance for 2 children at Broughton Gifford schools.
1906       Halt on therailway line near Mill Farm is opened.
1907       New chapel built.
1910       Broughton Gifford Manor House is converted back in to one house by Mr Schmidt.
1911       Broughton Gifford welcomes a mattress maker, a florist, a sign writer, a haulier and a hardware merchant.
1915       The last Court Leet decides, at The Bell, the fate of the common.
1919-1926       The Bell is leased to Ushers Brewery for £80.
1920       Vestry formed in the Church of St. Mary the Virgin, carved oak screen built across the tower arch to form a vestry in the Church of St. Mary the Virgin.
1922       Income of the Mortimer Charity is £20.
1930       Electric lights are installed in the Church of St. Mary the Virgin.
1935       Flooding makes roads at Broughton Gifford impossible to travel on.
1947       A garden is added to The Bell and the house is modernised.
1949       Mrs Floyd gives a silver chalice, with paten cover, to the Church of St. Mary the Virgin.
1950       Records show that the average school attendance is 76.
1955       Wooden railway halt closes.
1957       The Bell is sold to the current owners: Wadworths Brewery.
1960-1980       Rod Nield Siddall is the headteacher at Broughton Gifford's St. Mary's School.
1961       Broughton Gifford bowls club is established; parish population at 656.
1968       Flooding again causes problems for travelling on Broughton Gifford's roads.
1975       Conservation area designated for listed properties of 'special architectural interest'.
1976       A clubhouse for the bowls club, built by club members, is added to The Bell.
1983       Broughton Gifford Gardening Society is formed.
1986       Tony and Dorothy Stanley begin to run The Bell.
1991       Population at 991.
1996       Church Farm Meats, founded by James Hooper in 1860, moves to Church Farm in Broughton Gifford.
2000       Honeysuckle Cottage B&B is opened by Sue and Darius Mehta.
2001       Census shows a population of 822.
2004       Midge Ure, frontman for Ultravox, opens the new gardens and play equipment at Broughton Gifford's pre-school.
2007       The Fox pub, owned by Geoff Bell and Kim Tuck, reaches the final of a national competition run by the brewery 'Greene King' to find the best pub they supply. Broughton Gifford scout hut is rejuvenated.
2008       Records show 3 ponds on the common, flooding against makes the roads impossible to drive on. New Food Solutions Ltd. is founded in Broughton Gifford.
2009       Broughton Gifford hosts a fun run, 5km race and a 5 mile road race.
2010       Tony and Dorothy Stanley resign from running The Bell. Broughton Gifford receives a grant of £23,000 from the Big Lottery Fund which is used to renovate the community hall.

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN