Wiltshire Extensive Urban Survey Reports (opens in a new window)
Wiltshire County Archaeology Service began work on the Wiltshire Historic Towns Survey in August 1999 as part of the national EUS programme instigated and funded by English Heritage. The project comprised a survey of the historic towns of Wiltshire, including those in the Unitary Authority of Swindon Borough Council. In all, thirty-four towns were surveyed, including the five rural Roman towns and the city of Salisbury between 1999 and 2004. The intention was to update a project sponsored in 1976 by the DoE which resulted in the publication of Wiltshire Towns: the archaeological potential (Haslam, 1976) so as to provide high-quality information about the archaeological potential of the towns for archaeologists and Local Planning Authorities.
Welcome to Wiltshire and Swindon Sites and Monuments Record online, a database containing information on the archaeological sites, monuments and finds in Wiltshire and Swindon.
We would welcome your feedback on the website and any suggestions you have on how to improve it. Please contact us directly using the online feedback form
The data is provided for information only and must not be relied upon for legal or planning related work. Please contact us if you require more details.
The public accessibility of any of the archaeological sites listed in the SMR is not known although the majority are in private ownership. Please ensure you check and do not visit without permission.
Wiltshire County Council holds the copyright for the SMR. The information provided can be used for private and commercial use, on the basis the source of the information is acknowledged.
Any information obtained from the SMR must not be used to the detriment of the historic environment and the information may be withdrawn if this occurs.
The data held on the SMR has been compiled from a variety of sources over almost 40 years. While the information is believed to be as accurate as possible it is recommended that individual sources are also viewed.
The location of source material, artefacts, photographs and archives can not always be guaranteed.
The Wiltshire and Swindon Sites and Monument Record website is owned and operated by Wiltshire County Council. Set out below are the terms and conditions which, together with any legal notices displayed elsewhere on this website, represent all the terms and conditions on which we will provide you with access to the datasets created by Local Government Information House Limited ("the National Datasets") associated with the use of the National Land and Property Gazetteer and the National Street Gazetteer. Your continued use of this Website indicates your acceptance to be bound by these terms and conditions. If you do not agree to be bound by terms and conditions, please cease using this Website
1. The National and/or Authority datasets are associated with the use of the national Land and Property Gazetteer and the national Street Gazetteer. Information displayed throughout the (website) is extracted from a copyright work owned by Local Government Information House and (the authority).
2. A single screen print of the results of a search of the National and/or Authority datasets is permitted for your own use.
3. You may not extract or re-utilise information derived from the National and/or Authority Datasets and/or any copies of such information (whether electronic or hard copy format) for any commercial or business purpose including but not limited to, trading, building commercial databases, reselling or redistribution of such information.
4. You are not permitted to modify, adapt, arrange, alter, adjust or make any additions to any information derived from the National and/or Authority Datasets, nor are you permitted to combine such information with other mapping, data or other information, including for the avoidance of doubt, other such information derived from this Website.
5. Save as permitted in clause 2 above, the reproduction, copying, downloading, storage, recording, broadcasting, retransmission, distribution, decompilation, reverse-engineering, or disassembly of any part of this Website is not permitted without prior written consent.
6. It is your responsibility to ensure that any information derived from the National and/or Authority Datasets is not made available, either in unencrypted from or in hard copy format, to any third party that may attempt to use the map in contravention of these terms and conditions.
7. You must inform us immediately if you become aware of a third party using information derived for the National and/or Authority Datasets in contravention of these terms and conditions or of any infringement of trademarks located on this Website.
8. We shall have no liability to any person or organisation in respect of any loss or damage arising directly or indirectly from the use of the information contained on this Website.
9. We take every reasonable effort to ensure that information contained on this Website is as accurate as possible. However, the services featured on this Website are provided "as is" and all warranties, conditions and other terms implied by statute or common law are, to the fullest extent permitted by law, excluding. We shall not be liable to you for any indirect or consequential loss (whether for loss of profit, loss of business, depletion of goodwill or otherwise, costs, expense or other claims for consequential compensation whatsoever (howsoever caused) which arise out of or in connection with you use of this Website.
View the sites and monuments records map (opens a new window)