Wiltshire and Swindon Sites and Monument Record Information
Images for Atworth (if available)
X Y Grid Ref
Forest Marble; Cornbrash
Early 20th century garden in the grounds of a moated manor house.
Early twentieth century garden. Gazebo and lily pond designed by Sir Harold Brakspear. In 1906, landscape architects Parsons and Partridge of Newbury were commissioned to design a formal garden. Brakspear was commissioned to design the lodge situated at the end of the avenue to the N of the Manor, stables, and a summerhouse in the main garden. The Manor was given to the National Trust in 1943. Between 1985 and 1995 the garden paths and terraces were repaired. The north boundary is formed by the upper moat or mill pond, which is fed by an ancient mill leat. The Chalfield Brook runs through the lower part of the garden, below the spring-fed medieval fishpond. The boundary along the Holt road is marked by a garden wall with roll-top coping that links up with the 13th or 14th century wall and bastion to the north of the manor. The main entrance is along an avenue of 1.5m long lined with mainly oak trees, many planted in the early 20th century. The area to the east of the house is formally laid out and has a square lawn bisected by a path, in the centre of each half stands a walnut tree. The central path leads to a quatrefoil-shaped pond flanked to the north and south by a group of mature yews. To the north of this lies the Church Border, which follows the line of the churchyard wall. To the east lies a rectangular lawn. Here a raised grass walk, called the northern Moat Walk, round along the north garden wall. At its southern end is the summerhouse or ornamental apple stone. Westwards from this run two parallel flagstone paths, an upper terrace and a lower one. Situated between is the Autumn Border. On a lower level is the orchard. There is a Bastion Border, on the foundations of a bastion. A lower path leads to the Summer Border, at the west end of which lies a flight of steps called the Moat Steps. The inner court, paved with large stone flags, has a circular well in the centre, surrounded by four L-shaped rose beds. The foundations of Tropnell's house (1405-1488) formerly enclosed the inner court on the south side. The paved walk from the Spring Border leads through a gap in a large yew hedge into an area called the Kitchen Garden, Fruit Garden or Square Garden. From the SW corner of the kitchen garden runs a cobbled path called the southern Moat Walk, on a slightly higher level, creating fine views of the garden and manor. To the S of this is a strip of woodland with a stream running through it. The kitchen garden, situated to the SW of the Manor is enclosed by a clipped yew hedge on the south and east, by the stables to the stables, and by the west wing of the manor house to the north. It has a formal layout with a square lawn divided into found quarters by gravel paths, with the centre of a group of clipped mature yews along the north and west sides are mixed borders.
English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic interest in England Part 46 English Heritage
Map of Great Chalfield Garden (Registered)
Map showing Panoramio pictures and Wikipedia entries for the area around Great Chalfield Garden (Registered)
From the more tab you can use the checkbox to select:-
|View the sites and monuments records map (opens a new window)|
Select Nearby Sites to Great Chalfield Garden (Registered) within a 1km Grid