Images for Bromham (if available)
X Y Grid Ref
A Medieval deer park.
A)A deer park was recorded here in 1605, probably an earlier park acquired by the Bayntuns after the Civil War. B)A landscaped park, listed in the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Interest 30/11/2004. The garden originally had an Italian cascade, with falls of water over steps with about 30 or 40 ft fall. The original 17th century house was demolished in 1868 and a new house built slightly behind the site of the old house during 1863-8. All that remains of the house is the entrance porch and the house platform. A new shrubbery was planted on the steeply sloping ground near the site of the old house and an extensive walled garden was built near Chittoe in 1876. Since the late 19th century there have been minor additions to the pleasure grounds but few alterations have been made in the park. In the 1990s the 19th century house was demolished as a result of fire damage and the former stables were subsequently converted into the main residence. The park is c315ha as registered with boundaries marked by a mixture of fences and walls. Three drives lead through the park to the site of the house, one from the north-west, one from the north-east and the third for the south. An early 16th century Tudor gatehouse, Spye Arch is situated c1km north-west of the site of the house, and had originally been built for Bromham House and moved to Spye Park in the late 18th century. The main drive is lined by an avenue of 18th or early 19th century lime trees and horse chestnuts, with additional mature sycamore. To the south-west of the house is an extensive lawn lined by trees within the pleasure grounds. There is a long grass terrace on a platform and faced with stone, at the south-east end of which is a stone loggia or gazebo, with glazed sides and an open front on four pillars. To the north-east of the loggia is a partly walled flower garden. There is a raised circular area planted with 18th century lime trees. A narrow canal is situated on the lawn with a covered seat. A large roughly circular feature, possibly an early 20th century croquet lawn, consists of an area of grass surrounded by a slightly raised mound. The south-west end of the lawn terminates at a steep slope which acts as a ha-ha. An extensive walled garden is siuated c500m south-east of the former house site, with red-brick walls and a Garden Lodge built in 1876.
A) Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine Vol 89, p95(24)
The Avebury Project - Medieval and Post-medieval Assessment 1996 RCHME
Map showing Panoramio pictures and Wikipedia entries for the area around Spye Park (Registered)
From the more tab you can use the checkbox to select:-
|View the sites and monuments records map (opens a new window)|
Select Nearby Sites to Spye Park (Registered) within a 1km Grid