Images for Lacock (if available)
X Y Grid Ref
Alluvium; First River Terrace
Eighteenth century parkland with the addition of 19th century trees.
A)Eighteenth century parkland including a fishpond (possibly Medieval)with many mature trees including a Tulip tree, Black Walnut, Wing Nut Swamp Cypress, London Plane and a Judas Tree. The Abbey stands in the centre of a flat rectangular terrace laid to lawn to the south and east, which is supported by a sunken retaining wall. On the south side of the Abbey the terrace has two bastions, each decorated with an urn of c1770. On the terrace c4m to the south-east stands a sundial with a 16th century carved stone base and an 18th century brass dial on top, signed by Thomas Wright. The terrace along the west front is gravelled and has a semi-circular bastion opposite the entrance door of the Abbey. The terrace wall along the east side extends northwards beyond the building line to enclose the pond to the north-east of the Abbey. To the north and north-west of the Abbey lies a woodland garden containing a network of gravelled paths, lawns with bulbs and 19th century tree and shrub plantings. On the lawn immediately north of the drive stands a garden ornament consisting of twin fluted Doric columns set on a stone base, topped by a female sphinx figure. Along the path nearest to the west boundary of the site lies the rose garden. In its centre stands a stone vase on a pedestal, surrounded by beds with climbing roses growing on cast-iron arches with trellis work. A stone gothick alcove is situated to its north. An orchard is situated to the west of the rose garden containing a selection of fruit trees including mature medlar and mulberry. In the far north-west corner of the site are the remains of a grotto set in a tufa arch built above the stream that forms the northern boundary of the site. The grotto is flanked by mature lime trees, possibly of 18th century date. The parkland is separated from the drive by cast-iron railings, and scattered mature and young replacement trees, including oak and horse chestnut. Some of these trees may have been planted as part of Lancelot Brown's proposals. In the far north-east corner stands a pillbox built during the Second World War. The remains of the southern end of a canal (Wilts and Berks See SU09NE530) are still visible in the form of a dry depression. The northern end of the canal is defined by drystone walls along the ditch on the north boundary. The walled early 18th century Common or Stable Yard, and the Kitchen Garden are situated along the west boundary of the site. The Common Yard is a square enclosure accessed from the drive and an opening in its north wall gives access to the Kitchen Garden, which is now in use as allotments for the village. B)The National Trust commissioned an excavation on the 18th century cascade and a geophysical survey of the abandoned water garden to the south-east of the Abbey during 2000. The first water garden was created in 1718 for John Ivory-Talbot which included a great basin and a grand canal. It seems that the second water garden was designed in 1780, and it is this garden which was surveyed by the RCHME. The Rockworks cascade was first mentioned in 1749 and were excavated between 1996 and 2000 by Martin Papworth.
English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England Part 46 English Heritage
Map showing Panoramio pictures and Wikipedia entries for the area around Lacock Abbey Parkland (Registered)
From the more tab you can use the checkbox to select:-
|View the sites and monuments records map (opens a new window)|
Select Nearby Sites to Lacock Abbey Parkland (Registered) within a 1km Grid