If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Brinkworth

Primitive Methodism was brought to Brinkworth in 1824 after Samuel Heath; a prominent preacher opened his house for prayer meetings. Before the chapel was built, preaching services were often held in many places, such as the Green, [Abraham Young's] carpenters' yards, and lofts over a cart house. The Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1828 and for many years after the building was externally completed, the chapel's floor remained as earth until the money could be raised for stone by a number of working men. The chapels seating consisted of 'forms' which were a type of seat found in school rooms during this period, the pews in the chapel were also of the old 'horse box' style, therefore meaning there was no need for classrooms.

A new gallery was installed in the Chapel in 1839, and foundation stones were laid on February 23rd by Mr. Jacob Humphries of Wootton Bassett. The chapel cost £295 when it was first opened, with a debt of £235, and seated 230 people; before the renovations the chapel could only seat 22 adults.

Because the foundations were so well laid, the church continued to grow, and was widely considered to be a 'monument to the work of our fathers'. The chapel is now a private house.

Church Search Results

There were 3 items found.

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Brinkworth
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Brinkworth

Image Date: 2009
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Primitive Methodist Chapel, Brinkworth
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Brinkworth

Image Date: 2009
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Primitive Methodist Chapel, Brinkworth
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Brinkworth

Image Date: c.1970s
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN