If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Grittenham

Before the Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1894, services were held in a small cottage tenanted by Mr. W. Dixon until the time the Chapel was opened. These informal meetings had taken place since 1835, and it took 40 years to secure land to build on, eventually obtained from the Powis Family; the new chapel was to be built 'as near to the old “preaching place in a cottage” as possible.'

Despite the number of 'jumpers', people who moved between chapels, in the community, the numbers attending the chapel remained steady at 48.

The building was described as a 'neat iron one' costing £134 when built, opening with £40 debt left. The chapel was well attended until the Second World War but then the congregation decreased and the chapel was closed between 1955 and 1971.

A result that came from the efforts of obtaining a church was that a state church school was built, the vicar of Brinkworth promised to 'supply a curate to attend' to these expressed religious needs, the school dates run from 1901 and it was well attended.

Church Search Results

There were 2 items found.

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Grittenham
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Grittenham

Image Date: 1983
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Primitive Methodist Chapel, Grittenham
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Grittenham

Image Date: 1983
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN