If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

The Holy Angels Church, Corton, Boyton

In 1877 the Rector of Boyton, Rev. Walker, had recently erected a church on a piece of land on which Edmund Fane (Lord of the Manor) was about to grant him possession. Fane died in 1900 and there remained a doubt about the legality of the transfer of ownership of the land. As a result, the church could not be consecrated. It was not until 1937 that the current Major Fane made an agreement to give the land to the church for ever. A service of consecration took place on 14th June 1937. At this time there were 156 people living in the parish, of whom 110 lived in Corton and wanted their own church. The 1887 6” ordnance survey map names the church as All Saints. It is some distance from the supposed site of the old pre-Reformation church, marked on the map as Chattle Hole.

At the 1937 consecration service the church was re-named 'The Holy Angels'. It was 40' long and 18' wide, furnished with a communion table, temporary font, pulpit and prayer desk. This church remained open until 1980, when the congregation was very small in number. The last service was on 26th October 1980 and the church was redundant from 1st November. It is now a private house.

Church Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN