If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Bishopstone

A Primitive Methodist chapel at Croucheston was registered in 1833. The building may be earlier, as a 'newly erected meeting-house for Independents in Bishopstone' was registered in 1805. However there are two villages with the name Bishopstone in Wiltshire and the licences do not always make it clear which Bishopstone they are referring to.

The chapel is built of brick and tile and has a house attached to it. The gabled east front has a round-arched doorway and a small circular gallery window above. The interior was altered and re-fitted in the late 19th century. During the mid 20th century the congregation became smaller and the chapel was no longer able to support itself. The chapel closed on the 7th May 1978 and was sold as a private house. The congregation moved to the parish church under a Shared Churches Agreement.

Church Search Results

There were 2 items found.

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Bishopstone
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Bishopstone

Image Date: 2009
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Primitive Methodist Chapel, Bishopstone
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Bishopstone

Image Date: 2009
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN