If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Startley, Great Somerford

Primitive Methodists certified a building in Startley in 1843 and in 1850-1 had an average congregation of 90 attending services on a Sunday afternoon. The chapel was built in 1854 and was enlarged to include a 'Jubilee' room in 1860. It has a three-bay gabled front with round-arched windows. In the late 19th century, half the families in Startley were non-conformist. Presumably the majority, if not all, were Primitive Methodists.

Land was given for a graveyard opposite the church in the 1930-40s. By 1983 part of it was in good order and part of it unkempt. The chapel has now been converted into a private house.

Church Search Results

There were 4 items found.

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Startley, Great Somerford
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Startley, Great Somerford

Image Date: 2007
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Primitive Methodist Chapel, Startley, Great Somerford
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Startley, Great Somerford

Image Date: 2007
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Primitive Methodist Chapel, Startley, Great Somerford
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Startley, Great Somerford

Image Date: 2007
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Primitive Methodist Chapel, Startley, Great Somerford
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Startley, Great Somerford

Image Date: 2007
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN