If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Congregational Chapel, Fovant

Although Quakerism had died out by 1783, Non-conformity had not completely disappeared in the village. Fovant Chapel's record books have survived back to 1815, when the first meeting of a group took place in August at a house called The Cottage. This initial group of just eight people quickly increased in number, and it was soon evident that a suitable building was needed. A site was acquired in the High Street opposite The Cottage, and with limited funds and their own labour, the chapel was completed. On November 22nd 1820 The Congregational Chapel was officially opened.

Membership quickly increased as whole families worshipped together. The record books list baptisms and burials, as well as membership lists and services and events. Familiar Fovant names appear in these books and descendants of some of these families continue to worship there today.

In 1972 the chapel merged with the United Reformed Church and is now known simply as Fovant Chapel.

Church Search Results

There were 2 items found.

Congregational Chapel, Fovant
Congregational Chapel, Fovant

Image Date: 2009
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Congregational Chapel, Fovant
Congregational Chapel, Fovant

Image Date: 2009
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN