If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Baptist Chapel, Limpley Stoke

In 1811 a room at Limpley Stoke was licensed as a place to worship for the Baptists. The Reverend James Barnard of Bradford and a Mr. Palmer of Bath preached there. In 1815 a small chapel was built by G. Head of Bradford and Opie Smith of Bath and opened in January 1816. Nineteen people were baptised in the River Avon in this year and a further 19 members came from Bath and established themselves at Limpley Stoke in 1820. The Reverends Porter, then Jones presided over the chapel, followed by Huntley, who remained for 55 years until close to his death. Under Huntley the church prospered, a Sunday School was formed and a schoolroom built. In 1888 a new chapel replaced the old dilapidated building, providing 150 seats, at a cost of £300. In 1890 there were 35 members, four Sunday school teachers and 40 students. The chapel closed in the 1970s and was sold for residential use.

Church Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN