If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Church of All Saints, Littleton Drew

Apart from the 15th century central tower the church we see today is a rebuilding of the mid 19th century and little seems to be known about the earlier buildings. The first recorded incumbent was Robert of London in 1318 and the font, often one of the older pieces of masonry in a church, is 13th century. This would indicate a 13th century church although it could well have been earlier as 9th century cross shaft fragments are built into the north wall of the porch; A 12th century Norman may have succeeded the Saxon cross.

The 15th century three stage tower may have replaced an earlier one or could have been added to an existing nave and chancel. Nave and chancel, described as 'an ancient structure' in Kelly's Wiltshire Directory of 1848, was taken down in 1848 when the remains of a stone cross were found. This medieval churchyard cross was restored and re-erected to the north of the church by the Rev. A, Austin. The new building, in Perpendicular style, was designed by diocesan architect T.H. Wyatt and comprised chancel, nave and porch. The 1856 east window is by C. and A. Gibbs. A 15th century female effigy has been replaced in a recess in the north wall.

Canon Jackson writes that the church was restored through the efforts of the rector, the Rev. Gray Lawson, and re-opened on 6th May 1856. The Rev. Lawson also rebuilt the Parsonage House in 1852.

The advowson (right of presentation of the living) had been with the bisop of Salisbury but was transferred to the bishop of Gloucester and Bristol in 1852. The parish registers from 1706 (christenings), 1709 (marriages) and 1708 (burials), other than those in current use, are held in the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre in Chippenham.

Church Search Results

There were 7 items found.

Church of All Saints, Littleton Drew
Church of All Saints, Littleton Drew

Image Date: 2010
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of All Saints, Littleton Drew
Church of All Saints, Littleton Drew

Image Date: 2010
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of All Saints, Littleton Drew
Church of All Saints, Littleton Drew

Image Date: 2010
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of All Saints, Littleton Drew
Church of All Saints, Littleton Drew

Image Date: 2010
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of All Saints, Littleton Drew
Church of All Saints, Littleton Drew

Image Date: 2010
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of All Saints, Littleton Drew
Church of All Saints, Littleton Drew

Image Date: 2010
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of All Saints, Littleton Drew
Church of All Saints, Littleton Drew

Image Date: 2010
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN