If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Keevil

In 1783 Methodists met every month in a house and were taught by a barber from Bradford-on-Avon. Keevil Methodist Chapel was built on 17 October 1833 and extended in 1910 to provide a room for the Sunday School. This was redesigned in 1923. Ministers usually visited from Melksham, but on occasion local lay preachers would talk if they were needed. On Census Sunday in 1851 the average number at services was between 70 and 80 people. The chapel was something of a social hub during World War II, with a lot of people from the RAF and USAF attending services and remaining afterwards for eating and drinking. Even after the war ended musical events continued to be held there. Each Sunday there were two services, up until the 1950s. After the school was shut, services in the chapel were reduced to just one. The chapel closed permanently on 22 November 1988, due mainly to dwindling numbers of people attending. It became a private house. The memorial tablets were taken to the west porch of St Leonard's, where they remain.

Church Search Results

There were 2 items found.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Keevil
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Keevil

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Keevil
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Keevil

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN