If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

St. Margaret\'s Chapel, Shalbourne

St. Margaret's chapel-of-ease was built in 1208 by Bishop Herbert Poore alongside Rivar Road. It was recorded in 1399 in the Bishop's Registry of Salisbury as the 'Chantry of St. Margaret, Shalbourne. The patron was William de Vedart, Prior of Okeborn. In 1534 Michael Topping is recorded as curate and Edward Blackell as Incumbent by 1547. Then the following year the furnishings are recorded as being sold to Thomas Chaffeyne of Mere. That is one silver chalice, one blue satin vestment, one old altar cloth, two candlesticks, one old brass cross and two bells. The chapel of St. Margaret originally stood by the manor at Shalbourne Westcourt but was pulled down by 1840 and the stones re-used to build the church of East Grafton. The remaining ruins are recorded in a survey of disused chapels in Wiltshire of 1867.

Church Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN