If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Christ Church, Worton

Christ Church and was built in its entirety in the middle of the 19th century at a cost of £1,582. It was intended to serve residents of Marston as well as Worton and is a Grade II listed building. The church was built in 1841 in the Gothic style out of Bath ashlar stone, Welsh slate and stone ridge tiles. It is composed of a nave, chancel, north and south transepts and a vestry. There is a single bell in the bell-cote and it was cast by a man called Mears in 1888. The architect for the church was Thomas Henry Wyatt, who went on to design the Liverpool Exchange and Kensington Barracks. It was built by Brian B. Jones from Bradford-on-Avon. The leading man behind the building of the church was Charles Snell Kensington, who was the owner of Littlecourt and who donated land for the church to the west of his house. He was not actually in permanent residence in Worton but took a great interest in the parish and was buried in the church. It was consecrated in October 1841 by Philip Nicholas Shuttleworth, the Bishop of Chichester. The registers are complete from 1843 and other than those in current use are held in the Wiltshire & Swindon History centre in Chippenham. The organ was bought by the Parochial Church Council for £650 in 1956.

Church Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN