If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Church of St. Peter, Highway

The church at Highway was St. Peter's Church, now converted into a private dwelling house. It was constructed in stone and consisted of a nave and chancel in one with a stone slate roof. It has a timber bell turret with a single nave roof. The original church building is thought to have dated as far back as the Transitional Norman period (1145-1189). The oldest remains of the Norman church existed up until 1952 and included the font, a doorway and part of the stonework of the north wall. The 14th century rood screen was moved to the Church of St. Laurence at Hilmarton at this time along with many fixtures and fittings. In 1866-7 St. Peter's Church was almost completely rebuilt on the design of Butterworth, a well known Victorian church architect. The previous church was too small for the growing population of Highway at that time. In a Faculty Petition of 1865, it was said that there were 137 inhabitants for only 65 sittings in the church. A window commemorates the rector, the Right Reverend Archdeacon Harris who was also the Vicar of Bremhill, for his efforts in rebuilding St. Peter's Church.

The parish registers from 1742 - 1950 (christenings), 1753 - 1948 (marriages), and 1745 - 1941 (burials) are held at the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre at Chippenham.

Church Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN