If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Baptist Chapel, Hilmarton

Documented evidence of Strict Baptist worship in Hilmarton indicates that this began in around 1848 in a bake house (probably the 'Old Bakery' in Compton Road). The ministers at this time included John and William Mortimer and William Ferris. The first Strict Baptist chapel (Little Bethel) was opened in 1849 in Church Road (the chapel building is still in the grounds of 'Sunnyside' although it is completely dilapidated). Several baptisms took place on its opening day and it continued to be used until within about 9 months of the new present chapel being built. During the interim, services were held in Manor Farm.

The present day Baptist Chapel is located in Church Street next to Lammas Close. It is a small stone building which was erected in 1924. On its opening the congregation was so large that the service had to be held on the lawn of a Mr and Mrs Hutchings. The chapel is still very popular today and holds regular services, special events and coffee mornings.

Church Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Baptist Chapel, Hilmarton
Baptist Chapel, Hilmarton

Image Date: 2010
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN