If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Goatacre

In 1825 the house of Frederick Taylor was licensed as a meeting place for Primitive Methodists and in 1867 a small Primitive Methodist chapel was built on the site of the Friend's burial ground. One of Goatacre's residents, Elizabeth Blackman, strove hard for the chapel to be built. It proved to be very popular and had one of the largest congregations in the Brinkworth circuit. The chapel was replaced in 1909 by a larger red brick building located on the main A3102 on the corner of the road to New Zealand. The location here was more ideal than the previous remote building. This Primitive Methodist chapel was used up until its closure in 1994, when it was sold and converted to a private dwelling.

Church Search Results

There were 2 items found.

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Goatacre
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Goatacre

Image Date: 2010
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Primitive Methodist Chapel, Goatacre
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Goatacre

Image Date: 1984
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN