If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Luckington

The impact of the influential Brinkworth circuit of Primitive Methodism was felt on 8th October 1838, when Joseph Prenton, of Brinkworth, was involved in the licensing of a house of William King for Methodist worship and Mr and Mrs T. Ayliffe moved to Luckington in 1897 and started conducting open air meetings, preaching Primitive Methodism. Mr. Ayliffe was on the committee that in 1903 purchased land from Mr. Boulton for £15, and built a Methodist Chapel on it. The chapel opened on August Bank Holiday 1903 and 200 people from the local chapels attended the first service.

In 1930 the Malmesbury circuit was abandoned, and along with Malmesbury, Sherston and Garsdon chapels, Luckington became part of the famous Brinkworth circuit.

Church Search Results

There were 2 items found.

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Luckington
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Luckington

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Primitive Methodist Chapel, Luckington
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Luckington

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN