If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington

The church of St. Mary the Virgin at West Kington stands on a rise overlooking fields and is reached by a small road that runs through the farmyard of the adjacent Church Farm. There is a small footpath from West Kington to the church which at times has been in bad repair, such as from 1937 - 1949, and there was then some dispute about who was responsible for it.

There is a French link dating back to 1235 when the benefice of West Kington was given to the Monastery of St. Pierre de Fougères, according to the records in Gloucestershire. The building dates from the 13th century and has a 15th century west tower, later rebuilt in 1856 by S. B. Gabriel of Bristol. It is of rubble stone construction with a tiled roof. The top and third stage of the tower is similar to that of the church tower at Burton. Details include a staircase to the second tier, 'Y' shaped tracery windows, a two light bell opening with pierced stone screens and high panelled battlements with crocketted pinnacles. There are four bells, the earliest dating from 1500 and from the Bristol Foundry.

The main body of the church has equal size nave and transept, a narrower chancel and a south porch and north-east vestry. The interior has painted text on the chantry walls and the east window has stained glass of 1856 by Bell of Bristol. The pulpit is 15th century and there is a 16th century wall monument to 'A.P.' possibly Anne Prator. A number of 19th century tablets have been reset in the tower. The Bishop Hugh Latimer (c.1490-1555) was rector here from 1531. He later became Bishop of Worcester and was known for speaking his mind and upsetting the Catholic Church. He was eventually burnt at the stake in Oxford with Cranmer and Ridley in 1555.

The beautiful churchyard has won a number of certificates for the management of the natural habitat and has a number of listed monuments mainly dating from the 18th century. The rectory dates from the 19th century and is now a private residence known as West Kington House.

Church Search Results

There were 14 items found.

Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington
Church of St. Mary the Virgin, West Kington

Image Date: 2011
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN