If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary, Mere

After the Reformation Roman Catholics from the Zeals area met at the church at Bonham, in neighbouring Stourton parish. In 1932 a room behind the Butt of Sherry was rented for services, which were conducted by a Benedictine monk from Downside Abbey, who was also the parish priest at Bonham. This room was used until 1939 when, by permission of the vicar, a room in the National School building was used. The congregation increased in number and it decided to provide a purpose-built church. The site was given by a former resident of Mere, in memory of her son who was killed at Dunkirk, and the church was formally opened in September 1946. It seats around 80 people and has an altar and Stations of the Cross obtained from the private chapel at Fonthill Abbey. The church is served from Wincanton.

Church Search Results

There were 2 items found.

Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary, Mere
Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary, Mere

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary, Mere
Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary, Mere

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN