If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Methodist Church, Mere

This was built in 1846, in local stone, for a congregation of mainly agricultural workers and small tradespeople of the area. A manse for the minister was built in 1852, it later became the caretaker's cottage, and, as numbers steadily increased, a gallery was built in the chapel in 1859. A Sunday School was begun and in 1874 a schoolroom was built behind the chapel. As the congregation flourished new pews and windows were provided in 1877 and in 1903 a new manse was built. After Methodist Union in 1932 the chapel became the Mere Methodist Church. In 1936 a new pulpit, electric lighting and a new organ were installed. During the Second World War this was the only church in Mere that could be effectively blacked out, so that no lights showed to enemy aircraft, and so combined church evening services were held there. The schoolroom was used as a rest room for servicemen. The church continues to flourish.

Church Search Results

There were 1 items found.

Methodist Church, Mere
Methodist Church, Mere

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN