If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

The Church of St. Andrew was originally built prior to 1130 when it was given to Farleigh Priory. It is believed to have been practically rebuilt in the 13th century and continually altered, added to, and improved in the 13th-15th centuries and the 16th and 17th centuries. It was constructed from ashlar and rubble stone with a stone slate roof. The building comprises a west tower, nave with north and south aisles, north porch, chancel with a north chapel, and a north east vestry.

The arch stonework between the chancel and chapel, the circular piers and double-chamfered arches in the south arcade are thought to be part of the 13th century rebuilt church. The octagonal piers in the arcade of the north aisle appear to date from the 14th century. The north porch is another old part of the building and dates from the 15th century; the empty niche over the main door possibly held a statue of St. Andrew. The 15th century west tower is reached by a north east staircase. The tower has an embattled parapet and crocketed pinnacles.

The font bowl is of Norman origin but re-cut in a Romanesque style in 1840. The font's wooden cover is Jacobean and topped with a hovering dove.

Heddington Church holds a peal of six bells:
The treble bell is inscribed; 'To the Glory of God given by the parishioners of Heddington to commemorate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II 1953'.
The 2nd bell reads 'Feare God I.W 1618'. It was re-cast in 1939.
The 3rd bell bears the words; 'Prosperity to the Church of England A.R 1741'.
The 4th bell states; 'Peace and Good Neighbourhood A.R 1741'.
The 5th bell is inscribed 'Love God. I.W.1605'. This bell was cast by John Wallis.
The tenor bell reads 'I to the Church the living call And to the grave do summon all 1741'.
The three bells dated 1741 were all cast by Abel Rudhall of Gloucester.
In 1934, the five old bells were deemed unsafe and £266 was raised to re-condition and re-hang them. The bells were re-dedicated on Ascension Day in 1939 by the Bishop of Salibury.

On 11th October 1953, the sixth bell was added to the peal.

In 1553 the Church plate amounted to 6oz, the church retained a 5oz chalice after 1oz was confiscated. The chalice was replaced in 1578 by another, standing 7 inches high and made of silver. In 1830, a silver gilt tankard dating 1602 was presented to Reverend James Rogers. Another addition in 1838, of a Britannia metal paten made in 1703, completed the Church plate at this time. In 1973, the chalice and paten were stolen from the church and have never been recovered. The Elizabethan tankard was sold at auction in 1976 for £21,000 to pay for a new church roof. The Church plate was added to as recently as 1999, with a chalice, with paten, hallmarked 1974.

There are several family memorials within the church walls. On the south wall there is a memorial to five Brice brothers who won distinction in different fields. On the south wall of the chancel, there is a monument to Henry Rogers (rector) and his wife, Sarah, who died in 1669 and 1707 respectively. All the rectors in Heddington between 1605 and 1615, then 1642 to 1831 were members of the Rogers family. On the east wall there is a brass memorial to Brice Pearce. The church war memorial is in tablet form and commemorates five men who died during the First World War.

There have been two mentions of a bible at Heddington church. One being a Coverdale's 1537 version and also a chained 'treacle' bible printed in 1565.

The Parish registers date back to 1538 and are an almost complete collection. Other than those in current use they are held in the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre at Chippenham. As well as listing the usual baptisms, marriages and burials there a few unusual additional entries. In 1686, the parish register has a collection list for 'Ye distressed Protestants of France, Persecuted for Religion'. A 1610 burial entry reads; 'A Welch man travelinge from Reddinge into Glamorganshire having 12s. Of money about hym was found very sicke in a lease by the highwas side called Sandie Lane from whence beinge conveyed to a sheepe house died there and was buryed here 20 of October, no man knowing his name.'

Church Search Results

There were 23 items found.

Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Church of St. Andrew, Heddington
Church of St. Andrew, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN