If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Quakers, Heddington

There was a strong Quaker community living in Heddington in 1676. It is highly likely that they were linked to the weaving industry which was thriving in the parish at that time. A Quaker burial ground was opened in 1681; this was located only half a mile to the west of St. Andrew's Church next to a piece of land called 'Hanger Lands'. Amongst the first burials within this plot were John Noyse of Bromham, and Henry Rogers. The burial ground was sold in 1930 and had appeared not to have been used since about 1818. Today (2012) it is a raised piece of land, enclosed by trees from the surrounding field, and immediately adjacent to a trackway to the east. Access would have been from a track starting to the east of St. Andrew's Church and the Manor House, or by another leading from the road to the east of The Splatts.

Church Search Results

There were 2 items found.

Quakers, Heddington
Quakers, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Quakers, Heddington
Quakers, Heddington

Image Date: 2012
Image Location: Michael Marshman


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN