Wiltshire Community History
Church Search Results
There were 1 items found.
Non-conformists, Winterbourne Monkton
In 1669, John Baker lived in the Parish and he preached locally but was also an ejected minister. Between two and three hundred Anabaptists, Quakers and Presbyterians met at the house where he lodged. On 13th October 1696 a dwelling house of Mary Abbot was certified for use. Dissent in the parish didnâ€™t last and there is no dissenter recorded in 1676 or 1783.
In 1821 a house was registered for non conformist meetings but there were no regular meetings recorded in 1864.
On 22nd May 1822 a house or building belonging to Robert New was licensed for use; Independents William Cornwall, Stephen Crook and James Fowler are also mentioned.
On 16th March 1846 a house in the occupation of William Hillier was licensed. Joseph Phelps of Marlborough is mentioned.