If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Strict and Particular Baptist Chapel, Manningford Bohune

From the 1820s meetings were held in an inadequate cottage at Rushall; seating was uncomfortable and the uneven mud floor made them somewhat unsafe. On 27th February 1840 a dwelling house and premises in the ownership and occupation of George Hawkins was certified as a meeting house for Particular Baptists. At different times the chapel has been described as Particular, Strict, and General (this on a late 19th century large scale O.S. map) but throughout the 20th century it has been Strict and Perticular Baptist.

In the early chapel Henry Huntly of Enford preached and one of the chief supporters was Mr Wild, a farmer from Stowell. On Census Sunday in 1851 40 people attended both morning and afternoon service. The present chapel, on the road between Pewsey and Upavon, apparently replaced the original chapel in 1860, although the date stone says 1869. Lord Normanton gave land to enlarge the graveyard in 1896 and the chapel remains in use today. It seems likely that the Strict and Particular Baptists merged after the Second World War and used the Strict Baptist Chapel under their combined names.

Church Search Results

There were 6 items found.

Strict and Particular Baptist Chapel, Manningford Bohune
Strict and Particular Baptist Chapel, Manningford Bohune

Image Date: 2013
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Strict and Particular Baptist Chapel, Manningford Bohune
Strict and Particular Baptist Chapel, Manningford Bohune

Image Date: 2013
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Strict and Particular Baptist Chapel, Manningford Bohune
Strict and Particular Baptist Chapel, Manningford Bohune

Image Date: 2013
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Strict and Particular Baptist Chapel, Manningford Bohune
Strict and Particular Baptist Chapel, Manningford Bohune

Image Date: 2013
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Strict and Particular Baptist Chapel, Manningford Bohune
Strict and Particular Baptist Chapel, Manningford Bohune

Image Date: 2013
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Strict and Particular Baptist Chapel, Manningford Bohune
Strict and Particular Baptist Chapel, Manningford Bohune

Image Date: 2013
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN