If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Christ Church, Bradford on Avon

In the first half of the 19th century people in the northern part of the town were unhappy with the state of Holy Trinity church, which was described as 'being in a bad part of the town', and wanted their own parish church. This was commissioned in 1839 with G. P. Manners of Bath as the architect. Originally it was a simple design with plain walls, clear glass windows and stone flagged floors and was in the Perpendicular style.
The design proved too simple for the taste of later Victorian and in 1875 Sir Gilbert Scott was engaged to 'improve' it. He lengthened the chancel, added choir stalls, removed the gallery, replaced the pews and changed the church to more or less its present state. There is a west tower, with recessed spire, and in 1878 a chapel was added. There is a Lady Chapel memorial to Eric Moulton, who was killed in the First World War, and in 1923 a peal of 8 bells was given by Brigadier General Palmer of Berryfield House. The church is in the Bradford Deanery of the Diocese of Sarum and the parish registers from 1842 (christenings and burials) and 1843 (marriages), other than those in current use are held in the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre at Chippenham.

Church Search Results

There were 2 items found.

Christ Church, Bradford on Avon
Christ Church, Bradford on Avon

Image Date: 2002
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Christ Church, Bradford on Avon
Christ Church, Bradford on Avon

Image Date: 2002
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN