If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Church of St. Andrew, Forest, Melksham

A daughter church of the parish church of St. Michael, this was built to serve the growing population in the Forest area of the town and , perhaps, to counter the appeal of the Baptist and Methodist churches already established there. Designed by G.E. Street in the 13th century Early English style it is in ashlar with a decorative tiled roof and a bell cote, containing one bell, at the west end. It was licensed for worship in 1876 and consecrated in 1886. A spectacular interior feature is a pink and white carved marble and alabaster reredos with gold mosaic panels, presented by Mrs Ludlow Lopes in 1898. The parish registers, other than those in current use, dating from 1876 (christenings), 1890 (burials) and 1939 (marriages) are in the Wiltshire and Swindon Record Office.

Church Search Results

There were 2 items found.

Church of St. Andrew, Forest, Melksham
Church of St. Andrew, Forest, Melksham

Image Date: 2002
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Andrew, Forest, Melksham
Church of St. Andrew, Forest, Melksham

Image Date: 2002
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN