If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Roman Catholic Church of St. George, Warminster

There is little evidence of early Catholics in the town; in 1783 one papist, an apothocary lived here. The first mass since the Reformation was held in the drawing room of 24 Boreham Road (Mr and Mrs Tisseman) in 1900. In 1906 12 Ursuline nuns escaped from persecution in France and settled in East Street (Yard House). They called their convent after St. George, in honour of their new country. The owner, Mr J.E. Halliday allowed them to build a chapel in the grounds - the Church of Our Lady of Good Counsel. The congregation increased during the First World War as the Catholic population in the area grew.

The convent closed in 1919 and mass was said at Sutton Veny Camp and a hut in Station Road, Warminster, was also used for worship. A church was needed in Warminster and Mr Tisseman gave land and a cottage in Boreham Road for it. The church was designed by Sir Frank Wills and dedicated in 1922. For the first 16 years it was served from Frome before having a permenant priest. A presbytery was added in 1938 and in 1954 a brick hall replaced the Nissen hut previously used as a hall. In 1970 St. George's School was built and opened.

Church Search Results

There were 2 items found.

Roman Catholic Church of St. George, Warminster
Roman Catholic Church of St. George, Warminster

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Roman Catholic Church of St. George, Warminster
Roman Catholic Church of St. George, Warminster

Image Date: 1922
Image Location: Warminster History Society


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN