If you are reading this page using a screenreader, we support ARIA landmarks for quick navigation too

Wiltshire Community History

Church of St. Mark, Salisbury

During the late 19th century the city was expanding northwards and there was a need for a new church in this area. In 1899 the district chapelry of St. Mark was formed out of the northern part of St. Martin's parish. Temporary churches had been built in Gigant Street (1880) and Wyndham Park (1882) but in 1892 the building of a permanent church at the junction of St. Mark's Avenue and London Road began. The architect was J.A. Reeve and by 1894 the first phrase, consisting of the chancel, Lady chapel, transepts and one bay of the nave, was opened. The church was consecrated in 1899. In 1914 work began on finishing the nave which was completed in 1915. After the First World War a chapel was built on the northern side as a war memorial and in 1922 the south porch was added. It was decided not to build the planned tower but despite this the church appears fairly massive in rustic finish stonework in the Perpendicular style. The parish registers from 1899, other than those in current use, are held in the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre in Chippenham.

Church Search Results

There were 5 items found.

Church of St. Mark, Salisbury
Church of St. Mark, Salisbury

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Mark, Salisbury
Church of St. Mark, Salisbury

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Mark, Salisbury
Church of St. Mark, Salisbury

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Mark, Salisbury
Church of St. Mark, Salisbury

Image Date: 2003
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Church of St. Mark, Salisbury
Church of St. Mark, Salisbury

Image Date: c.1905
Image Location: Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham


Actions

Search

This website

Contact details

Contact Wiltshire Council

Write to us or call us

Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
BA14 8JN